What is the Self-Determination Program?
The Self-Determination Program (SDP) is an opportunity available to all regional center clients to determine how they want to implement services based on their needs. It gives clients:
- the freedom to plan their life and make decisions,
- flexibility on how money is spent for client services and supports,
- the ability to choose the people and supports that help clients live, work and play,
- responsibility and accountability,
- and centers the client as the most important decision maker in their life.
SDP grants clients an individualized budget to purchase services and supports and allows the client to control the budget. This gives the client the choice of selecting services that align with their goals and provides them full access to their community, even to services outside of the regional center system.